Family seeks $105 million from New York City after teen’s fatal Central Park carriage ride

The family of an 18-year-old tourist who died after a horse bolted during a carriage ride in Central Park is seeking $105 million from New York City, alleging that stray electrical voltage may have caused the animal to panic.Romanch Mahajan, who was visiting New York from India with his family, spending the day snapping photos around Manhattan, suffered fatal head injuries during the June 17 incident near Cherry Hill in Central Park. His family says the unsecured carriage horse, Sampson, suddenly took off while the driver stopped to take their picture."This was an avoidable accident," Sagar Chadha of Liakas Law, counsel for the Mahajan family, wrote in a statement.
Reported by 1 outlet — Fox News Latest. See all sources ↓
The family of an 18-year-old tourist who died after a horse bolted during a carriage ride in Central Park is seeking $105 million from New York City, alleging that stray electrical voltage may have caused the animal to panic.Romanch Mahajan, who was visiting New York from India with his family, spending the day snapping photos around Manhattan, suffered fatal head injuries during the June 17 incident near Cherry Hill in Central Park. His family says the unsecured carriage horse, Sampson, suddenly took off while the driver stopped to take their picture."This was an avoidable accident," Sagar Chadha of Liakas Law, counsel for the Mahajan family, wrote in a statement. "The allegations set forth in the Notice of Claim describe a preventable tragedy that followed years of warnings, prior incidents and failures to implement basic safeguards.""An 18-year-old young man came to New York City with his family and never made it back home,:" the statement continued. "His family deserves answers, accountability and meaningful change so that no other family experiences what they have endured."MAN KILLED AFTER HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGE BOLTS AND FLIPS NEAR POPULAR NEW YORK CITY TOURIST DESTINATIONThe tragedy came just over two weeks after New York City horse-drawn carriages would have disappeared under an earlier proposed ban that failed last year.
Read the full report at Fox News Latest ↗
Why it matters
A world story we're tracking; its significance and source trust firm up as more outlets confirm it.
- What's the story?
- The family of an 18-year-old tourist who died after a horse bolted during a carriage ride in Central Park is seeking $105 million from New York City, alleging that stray electrical voltage may have caused the animal to panic.Romanch Mahajan, who was visiting New York from India with his family, spending the day snapping photos around Manhattan, suffered fatal head injuries during the June 17 incident near Cherry Hill in Central Park. His family says the unsecured carriage horse, Sampson, suddenly took off while the driver stopped to take their picture."This was an avoidable accident," Sagar Chadha of Liakas Law, counsel for the Mahajan family, wrote in a statement.
- How widely is it covered?
- 1 outlet, average source rating 6.0/10.
- When was it last updated?
- 4m ago.
How outlets are framing the same story
Here's how each outlet is covering the story — compare their headlines and timing at a glance.
- Coverage card1 outlet1CoverageScouting report
Family seeks $105 million from New York City after teen’s fatal Central Park carriage ride
Sources1TypeCoverageFox News Latest